Monday, March 29, 2010

March 29 - Family History!!!!!!!

I just learned that one of my uncles and my great-grandmother had Alopecia!

When I first realized I probably had it a few weeks ago, I asked both my parents if there was any history of alopecia or other autoimmune disease in the family. They both said there was none that they knew of.

My mom just told me about a conversation she had with my aunt a few days ago. My aunt brought up that one of their brothers had alopecia, as did their grandmother. My mom's memory was jogged, and she started talking about all of these things she remembers from when she was a kid. She told me about her brother having very thin hair when he was young, and that he lost some in patches that later grew back. He still kept a lot of hair, but she remembers her grandmother not having much at all. She also talked about going on visits and seeing her putting on her hairpiece.

Even if it's just a little family history, I think there's a bit of comfort in gaining SOME sort of knowledge about this, since there's such little information out there about this disease in the first place.

Hearing the stories about my uncle and great-grandmother made me feel strangely happy.

2 comments: