Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18th - Treatment?




Some of the spots have spread a bit since the last post. I'm starting to become very fascinated by the 'patterns' of hair loss I am experiencing. It's just so random and weird! Sort of like rivers and lakes throughout my scalp. Hmm.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on treatment:
At the moment, I am leaning very heavily toward the side of not doing it. Yes, it could help spots to start to grow back in faster, but in the mean time I still have hair falling out in other areas. They still can't prevent or stop more from falling. Then I just have to get more treatment in the new spots. (I mean even right now, there is a lot of loss that is in other places I didn't get treated on Tuesday) I'd be worrying about whether it is helping or not, having to go to doctor's appointments all the time, thinking about the shots and everything...and after all of that, even if the hair does grow back, it might end up falling out again. I really feel that it would cause me much more stress than just not doing it. (Even only thinking about doing treatment makes me feel anxious and stressed out vs. thinking about not, which makes me feel good, actually) And honestly, I really don't like the idea of taking things like steroids and basically forcing my body to do things it doesn't do on its own. I was prescribed a topical ointment the other day, too. I looked up information on it, and the side effects alone are enough to make me not want to use it; I'm going to pass on that as well.

I am going to continue to find out more about what my treatment options are, read people's stories and maybe see what has worked for them. The ones I have learned about so far are definitely not right for me, but maybe I'll find something that I would feel comfortable trying.

Right now I would rather take it as it comes, learn to be okay with the situation, and just be happy. There is such a huge chance it'll grow back on it's own, anyway. [It would take longer than if I had successful treatments, but I'd much prefer being free of anxiety and discomfort while it grows back.] And if it decides not to come back, so be it!

I have so many great things going in my life, I am not going to let this ruin any of it. Aside from the hair loss, the Alopecia has no affect on my health whatsoever; I am perfectly normal and healthy. I mean yeah, it sucks, and I won't pretend that it doesn't. But I think I can deal with saying goodbye to some hair, while living my life just as happily as I ever have.

On a side note, in response to me commenting on the statistic that only nearly 2% of people get Alopecia, Taylor said, "with those odds, winning the lottery is next!" Yeah...I think I should start playing now, hahaha!

Thanks for all the support, you're all so amazing <3

2 comments:

  1. Pam, I had no idea this was going on, but I commend your positive outlook. I think that were I in your situation, I'd opt out of treatment too. It sounds like a lot of time, money, and stress for unpredictable and purely cosmetic results. You've always been the type to turn something like this into an asset instead of a detriment. Look at it this way (and I'm sure you already have,) think of the awesome wig collection you'll have! If it's any consolation, you've always been an outrageously beautiful woman, and I don't think a little patchiness could even tarnish that a little bit. Keep us posted, and know you have our support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some holistic treatment options; maybe thats an option to try?

    http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/alopecia.html

    ReplyDelete